Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An hour away and worth every minute of the drive...



I absolutely love this time of year. The black fly season is finally coming to a close and all the little kiddies are going back to school (YES!). I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between black flies and my children but it makes you wonder. My oldest son, Matthew, is a varsity football player at St. Johnsbury Academy. Each year, my wife and I find ourselves traveling all over Vermont to watch the academy football games. These early morning treks allow us to take in some of the best Vermont has to offer.

This past weekend we traveled to Woodstock, Vermont (one of my wife's favorite locations...one of the most expensive for me...I mean us) for the season's first football scrimmage. Woodstock...in my humble opinion...is the way life should be. No matter how many adjectives I throw at it, you need to experience it for yourself. No internally lit obnoxious business signs here. Instead, handmade wooden signs adorn buildings. Beautifully manicured lawns surround homes, churches, and inns. You drive slow in Woodstock...everything happens at a more relaxed speed there. For the record...I'm not a "shopper". For that matter...I officially hate shopping. There's something about spending a day in Woodstock that fools my senses and allows me to think I'm not shopping. Whether you are a shopoholic or not, don't plan a visit to Vermont without including Woodstock in it.

When visiting Woodstock...set aside an hour or two for the Quechee Gorge area. Just minutes from Woodstock is "Vermont's Little Grand Canyon". This amazingly beautiful gorge offers a quick photo opportunity from the highway bridge or hours of exploring wilderness trails. Either way it's a natural wonder that old and young alike will always remember. The gorge is over a mile long and 165 feet deep. The trail system is well marked and my five year old went down and up the gorge trail system without needing to be carried.

My family LOVES eating at the "Farmer's Diner" located in "Quechee Gorge Village" shopping center. It is a one of a kind diner experience. While shopping is at the bottom of my "to do" list...eating good food would probably be at the top. You won't go wrong at the "Farmer's Diner". After eating at the diner, stroll through the different village shops. There is truly something for everyone. The village offers Vermont made furniture, Cabot Cheese, pewter, jewelry, handcrafts, glassblowing studio, antiques, wine, blacksmith shop, and a toy museum.

It probably goes without saying but my son and the Academy football team dominated Woodstock. After watching the scrimmage...I think it's going to be a great year for our local Hilltoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment