Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Going for the Green


I hate to admit it...I haven't golfed in almost three years.

Whew! I feel so much better getting that off my chest. I love golf. I was passionate about golf. I'm comfortable saying that I "was" obsessed. I think I've beaten the disease (sure...anyway).

Did I mention that I'm not good (that actually may be kind)? There's something about running four hotels, raising four children, and spending time with my wife that makes it difficult to golf. This past weekend we hosted our best friends from Maine. My buddy asked if I could squeeze in a round of golf and after considering it for a moment, I jumped at the opportunity. Neither of our wives play but I knew from past experience that they both enjoy riding around in the carts and laughing (at us). Five minutes after hanging up with my friend, we had a tee time at the St. Johnsbury Country Club.



St. Johnsbury Country Club is one of my favorite courses I've ever played. Considering I've golfed at courses around the world...that's actually saying something. It is extremely challenging. It's tight and occasionally wide open. It's flat and unassuming then steep and challenging. The greens appear to be the size of a postage stamp or large and undulating. Dog legs left and then right (sometimes both on the same hole). No matter how many times I play there, it always gets the best of me.

On my most recent visit, I must say I impressed myself (it doesn't take much). From the start, my swing was natural. I struck the ball purely and more often than not sent the little white ball in a straight line. I had lost some distance but all in all I was doing alright...for the first nine holes. After making the turn, it all came back to me. I remembered why golf takes over your thoughts and chews at your inner being. Over the next five holes, I donated one ball per hole to the woods, water, and evil little fairway gnomes that steal perfectly placed shots. I sprayed balls to the left, right, and on at least one occasion, took a divot that could have been mistaken as a green beaver pelt. Ok, so I won't be playing at the Masters anytime soon.

I love golf and will be finding/making time to get out on the course more often.

My hotels offer incredible golfing packages. Guests play St. Johnsbury Country Club, the amazing new course at Jay Peak, Maplewood Country Club or Bethlehem Country Club. We hosts golfing groups from all over New England. The highest compliment our guests pay us is by rebooking annually. For more information on our golf packages, please visit the property specific websites.

Have a great day and "hit'm straight"!

COMFORT INN & SUITES - ST. JOHNSBURY, VERMONT
http://www.vermontvacationland.com/html/golf-packages-vermont-vacations-pkg.asp

HAMPTON INN - LITTLETON, NEW HAMPSHIRE
http://www.littletonhotel.com/html/golf-coupon-new-hampshire.asp


HAMPTON INN - BURLINGTON, VERMONT

No comments:

Post a Comment