Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Hampshire and Vermont Kayak Canoeing Adventures



Living in Vermont's majestic Northeast Kingdom...there are days that I just need to pinch myself...I want to make sure I'm not dreaming. I know the economy has collapsed and that world is in turmoil BUT this past Sunday...for a few hours...none of it mattered. My son Cass and I took our newly acquired kayaks out for a day exploring the Moore Reservoir and Connecticut River. He's been a kayaking enthusiast for years and after a little prodding, he finally convinced me to invest in two boats. I was amazed at how tranquil the reservoir was for a Sunday afternoon. We were on the water for more than three hours and only saw one other boat.


The huge body of water which technically is located in New Hampshire was created when a hydro-electric company constructed a 178 foot tall dam in 1957. The Moore Reservoir is technically New Hampshire's fourth largest lake (how is that for worthless trivia) and covers more than 3500 acres. Most importantly for my family and I...it is New Hampshire's largest undeveloped body of water. I'm proud to say my house is exactly two miles from the Vermont boat landing. I'm embarrased to admit...it was my first time out on river since I moved here. Due to recent agreements between the hydro-electric company, government agencies, and conservation groups, it will remain a wildlife sanctuary indefinitely .


Located on the New Hampshire and Vermont border, the Connecticut River is nestled between my hotels located in Littleton, New Hampshire and St. Johnsbury, Vermont. The Moore Reservoir annually hosts the Littleton Trout Tournament and provides world class fishing opportunities. Besides trout, anglers can fish for northern pike, land-locked salmon, pickerel, perch, and huge bass. The region has just welcomed back its first bald eagles. In the years to come, I suspect the river and reservoir will once again become part of their habitat.


There are a handful of relaxing areas for families to enjoy a picnic and take in the views. Take time to search the shoreline for exotic looking driftwood.


Incredible kayak and canoeing opportunities abound from any of my three hotels. For more information or to book your overnight accommodations:

Hampton Inn - Littleton, New Hampshire
603-444-0025

Comfort Inn & Suites - St. Johnsbury, Vermont
802-748-1500

Fairbanks Inn - St. Johnsbury, Vermont
802-748-5666

Thanks for vacationing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Brett! Kudos on checking out and being part of all the area attractions up there...you've been very busy huh? The family looks great!
    ~Danie

    ReplyDelete