Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Saying "Thanks"...all year long


This time of year many people are inspired by the holiday season to show appreciation and say "thanks". While its certainly nice to extend your appreciation to co-workers, friends and family. I would suggest that we would all be better served by sharing our feelings throughout the year.

I for one go out of my way to make sure that the people closest to me know how much I appreciate their help, direction, and support. I do it daily (sometimes hourly). I've often wondered if it ever gets old for them...I've wondered if they even hear it after a while. I've decided that the impact on them is probably equaled by the impact on me. Showing appreciation is as important to give as it is to receive. It makes the world go round.

As we go into the new year, make the single best resolution possible...make 2010 the year of saying "thanks". Let your actions say "thanks". If you employ people...thank them daily/hourly. Hire people that understand the importance of saying "thank you". In this economic climate...has there ever been a time in our lives that was more important to thank the customer. I have a policy in my hotels, every guest is to be thanked a minimum of five times during each stay. The four "gimmes" are while booking their reservation, at check-in, in the breakfast room, and at check-out. The staff simply needs to find one additional time during a guests stay to say thank you (hallways, elevators, etc.). The impact??? Well, guests are convinced that I drug my employees or have sprinkled pixie dust over them. The culture of appreciation carries over to the relationships among my team members. We work in an environment of mutual appreciation. Not exactly the norm in a lot of businesses today.


One of my all time favorite books is the "Ultimate Gift". I loved it so much that I gave a copy to each and every one of my employees. In the book, ten life lessons are taught. The life lesson "Gift of Gratitude" compels you to spend a minute or two each morning before rolling out of bed and identify ten things you are grateful for. It would mean a lot to me and the ones you love, if for the 365 days of 2010, you adopted this gift and embraced the process daily. Do yourself a favor, pick up a copy of the book. After reading it...share your copy...and ask them to pass it on.

"Thank you" for reading my blog. I wish you and yours nothing but the very best in 2010.

Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment