Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"It is a small world, after all"...c'mon now sing a long



Several years ago, after our first visit to the Bahamas, my wife and I promised each other that we would go back annually. With four school-age children, my wife running a daycare and me overseeing four hotels, by the time September rolls around each year...we seriously need to recharge our batteries.

On our first visit to the Bahamas we befriended an incredible local bartender, Christal. On our first encounter, she introduced me to a drink she created called the "Comfort Zone". I am still convinced that the drink is 98% 151 rum, 1% juice and 1% ice. I think the drink should be renamed "Island Time". After flying for half the day, clearing customs, getting ground transportation, checking-in, unpacking... just one of her drinks lets you know... you are officially on "Island Time". Christal works at one of the best swim up bars on Pleasure Island, located at the Comfort Suites, Paradise Island.


On our last visit, my wife, Christal and I were talking about the different hotels that I manage (just what I want to be doing on vacation). As a result, the next night, I brought Christal a business card and brochure. For years, we've been trying to convince Christal that she and her family should visit northern New England. Christal has always joked that it is too cold in August to visit New England, never mind any other time of the year.

It was the following night that Christal left me with my jaw on the ground... no it wasn't because I had too many "Comfort Zone/Island Time" drinks. After sitting down at the bar, Chrystal excused herself. To my amazement, Christal returned holding a postcard of and from my hotel in Saint Johnsbury, Vermont. To put it mildly I was confused and was looking for some explanation. After flipping the postcard over, I noticed that the card had been sent back in 2003 and was addressed to Christal. The sender had written that the hotel "was really nice! The grounds were breathtaking - so pretty".


Apparently my wife and I are not alone in our appreciation for the job Christal does. Christal went on to explain that the two people who had sent her the postcard were also regulars of the island and fans of her mixology skills. After a visit seven years ago, they left the island and toured northern New England. Their travels brought them to my Vermont hotel. They simply sent Christal a postcard letting her know that they were thinking of her. Each employee of the hotel, keeps a safety deposit box for valuables and other items. The postcard has sat in that box for almost seven years as a reminder of some of Christal's favorite guests. The whole experience was strangely ironic. Needless to say, since returning to my hotel, I have reprinted the complimentary in-room postcards. Three large postcards are now available for our weary travelers. Guests have stopped by daily thanking us for the postcards. My staff smiles each time they are left at the desk to be mailed... wondering where I might find them on one of my next travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment